Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Trip that was: September 6, 2013/2014

2013

On all my trips to the Netherlands to this point, the Rijksmuseum was closed for renovation.  Only a tiny portion of their collection was on display, and I had been longing to see more. 2013 was the year I could finally see the whole thing! Dutchboy and I met up with old friends, and spent the day exploring this beautifully face-lifted old museum! We met them at the station and headed to Museumplein straight away.




This is where I admit the truth: I don't like the Nightwatch.  I think it is very badly painted, and quite ugly. There I said it. 

I said earlier, I don't always visit libraries.  Unless they're in beautiful museums. 




If you go to ANY large museum, take a minute and look out the windows.  You'll usually have a unique perspective on the world.  Windows can be frames for amazing pictures.
 



After all that wandering around, and getting lost in! the Rijksmuseum, we headed to what has become a favorite restaurant for us, Stoop en Stoop.  Evenings out with friends make the best memories. 



2014.

Saturdays in The Netherlands means voetbal (soccer).  Dutchboy grew up playing in a voetbal club, with practice in the middle of the week and games on Saturday.  It's almost a religion! All of his nephews play, and sometimes we get to enjoy a game. In 2014, we watched Dutchboy's twin nephews play.  The little ones are so fun to watch.  So much excitement!! 







After the game, everyone heads to the canteen for a drink and a snack.  The old-time members of the club hang out and discuss the young talent, debating who has the ability to make it big, and perhaps bring glory to the club if they make it to the big leagues.  However, these old-timers are just Dutchboy, his Dad and one of the older nephews.

Leaving the soccer pitch behind, we headed to the beach to have supper, and see the brother-in-law's band play a gig. The Netherlands has lovely beachside restaurants, with good food and good music, and a very laid-back vibe.  It is gezellig-- it's the Dutch word with no good translation.  The closest English translation is "cozy".  But it's more than that?? It's a comfortable, easy feeling of belonging and kinship.  I can't remember an evening spent in one of these places when I didn't feel this way.  I'll leave you then with this clip, so you can see some for yourself. 





Tot Ziens!

No comments: