Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Trip that was: September 12, 2008/2013/2014/2015

2008

Amstelveen is so close to the flower markets, and on the doorstep of Schiphol airport! I find the abundance, freshness, and afforability of flowers to be astounding. 


The COBRA Museum, Amstelveen.   In 2008, we went, we saw it. I will share these photos and we will NEVER speak of this again.  If you don't know, CoBrA is taken from the first letters of the cities, Copenhagen, Brussels and Amsterdam, where the artists lived and worked.  COBRA embraces a childlike innocence and is more or less anti-art. And I am anti-Cobra. If there is an amazing exhibition, I may go again. Otherwise, I'm showing the best of what I saw.  The only thing I find more off-putting is the Stedelijk Amsterdam, and the obnoxious, white bathtub they stuck on the side of an elegant, grand building.  The Stedelijk is a rant for another day-- believe me you'll hear it. For now, I'll  you with this and you can make up your own mind.  








2013
After that, I need a drink. 

2014
An afternoon spent in Zaandam.  This was the view from our friend's lovely back garden. 



Dutchboy. He looks so tiny. And his glasses look so big!  

2015

Raise your hand if you've heard of Hattem! Hattem  is a town in the province of Gelderland, and was a member of the Hanseatic League.  Now it's a quaint, touristy village that is a fun place to spend an afternoon—visiting the  Anton Pieck Museum and the Dutch Bakery Museum Hattem! You've likely encountered the work of Anton Pieck on calendars, cards and puzzles.  He is famous for his rendering of quaint, fairytale-esque village life.  And remember that theme park I mentioned a couple of days ago? He designed it!  






I don't know-- some type of Civic Guard re-enactment.  They were having THE BEST time. 



Tot Ziens!


 

No comments: