Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The Trip that was: October 14, 2017/2018

 2017

The Hague! I love this photo, with the very old iron gates juxtaposed with the city in the modern city rising in the distance. 

Into the Binnenhof we go.

This time we were there for a tour of the Ridderzaal (Knight's Hall) and also a visit to the Tweede Kamer (House of Representatives).  I believe we've seen the inside of the Ridderzaal already, but this time it's so clean and neat, not under construction.  This is where King Willem-Alexander, with Queen Maxima at his side, delivers his Speech from the Throne on the third Tuesday in September.  


This is a miniature of the Golden Carriage that carries the Royals to the Ridderzaal to deliver the speech. You can see their arrival at a previous Prinsjesdag on YouTube. Though we have likely seen the last of this golden coach, because of racist depictions on the side panels of the coach.  It is being retired from service.


Posing with the former Queen, Princess Beatrix.  We haven't discussed the Dutch Royals, or as Dutchboy calls them, the Royal Muppets.  I adore them.  My first knowledge of the then Queen Beatrix came in the form of an Architectural Digest in my early teens.  My sister subscribed to the magazine, and I devoured the beautiful photography every month.  It was a dream printed on paper.  One issue featured Queen Beatrix in her palace.  Oh, to be Queen!  I never forgot that photo of Beatrix, standing in her long gown and her crown, in a gilded, ornate room.  I also never dreamed I would see some of the palaces and stand there myself!! 


When she abdicated in favor of her son, Maxima became the Queen Consort, and fills the role admirable. She is a beautiful lady with a good head on her shoulders, holding a Masters Degree in Economics and currently serves as the United Nations Secretary-General's Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development (UNSGSA). She is very active in European Commerce and Trade, as well as immigration issues in the Netherlands. Not to mention Maxima has AMAZING taste in fashion and jewelry. Follow the link for a nice documentary about Maxima. Want to be shallow and sigh at pretty clothes and jewels? Check out Modekoningin Maxima on Facebook. Yes, I freely admit I'm a Royalist.

We walked past the Prime Minister's office on the way to the Tweede Kamer.  Sorry that I can't show you the inside of the House of Representatives, but no cameras were allowed inside.  And it's pretty boring looking, I promise. This photo is much prettier.  And the links provided tell you more than you're likely wanting to know about Dutch multi-party politics.

The afternoon saw us back at the Gemeente Museum, Den Haag. Now know as Kunstmuseum Den Haag. I'm afraid I have very little to offer, other than the artsy shots of the family.


They're not impressed with me. 



2018

We started out the day by going to Laren, one of the wealthiest and bougiest towns in the Netherlands, and home to the Singer Museum.  The museum houses the collection of American artist William Henry Singer and his wife Anna.  But on this day, we were there for an exhibition of the late impressionists. 

This piece caught my eye. Maybe because she is reading, maybe because it's so colorful. Maybe because she is either bored out of her skull, or deeply engrossed.  

The Reading Woman by George Desvalliers (1913)

One of the nicest thing about Singer Laren is the their lovely garden.





After being dropped off in Amstelveen, we went into Amsterdam for an evening snack and beer at Cafe Hoppe on the Spui.  Spui is a square in the city center, known for it's weekly Book Market, and it's abundance of bookstores. 

 Anyway, back to the photos.  Remember, when you're traveling to put down your phone and talk to strangers. It's okay. They won't bite.  I was texting with my friend, Sarah, and told her I was having a drink in a cafe with two young guys sitting almost in my lap.  She said, "PROVE IT!"  I thought, why don't I talk to them?? So, I leaned over and asked if I could take a photo with them.  They laughed and agreed.  We ended up talking quite a bit, and found out that one of the guys had an American mother! I bought a round for our new friends. Talk to the locals. You might be surprised. 


On the way home, we were inundated with orange soccer hooligans! No harm done. It was all in good fun.  Though we heard later there was a very serious brawl at one of the cafes, with several people injured. 


Tot Ziens! 

No comments: