Sunday, October 11, 2020

The Trip that was: October 11, 2016/2017/2018

2016

There was an exhibition of Marilyn Monroe at Nieuwekerk in Amsterdam.  She was a fascinating lady!  At the end of the exhibition, you could choose your quote and pose with the photo of Marilyn.




2017

A trip to Zandvoort with our friends, Lucien and Wendy!  A lovely beach town. A lot of people call this "Amsterdam beach", but it really isn't that close. Nor is it anything like AmsterdamThis is the end of the line...the train station!


There were some intricate and beautiful sand sculptures in front of the station. 


Friends. <3

In Zandvoort, there is a statue of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria, affectionately called Sissie. She fell in love with  Zandvoort during her stay in Amsterdam while seeking medical treatment.  This is my best melachloy royal longing for the sea look. 

We had a brief tour of the beachcomber's museum. Some of the stuff that washed up on shore is on display.  Quite a random collection of junk! 






I can make friends with any statue. Guaranteed. 



Walking through the Amsterdamse Waterleidingduinen. Whew. That's a mouth full. The water supply dunes for Amsterdam.  It's a lovely place to hike. 



Two bucks facing off.

Lucien took one of my favorite photos of me, ever. Peekaboo!

 2018







Walking down the Ramblas.



The Columbus Monument. It marks the spot where Columbus landed when he returned to Spain after his voyage to America. 






We were supposed to do the cable car trip to Montjuic and spend the day up there.  But I still didn't feel well, and all that hiking wasn't going to make me feel better.  We adjusted our plans and I got on a boat to head out on the Mediterranean for a couple of hours. Clearly the blow to my head affected my judgement. 



You can't even see the panic in my eyes, can you?! Dare I say I look happy to be about to drown in a boat that you can look through the edges of the boat and see the water sloshing around?!? 



The Sagrada Familia standing tall, with her cranes and lifts.

Back on dry land, we took a leisurely stroll through the streets. We had no destination in mind. Just getting lost and finding things. 





This building looks afflicted.

Nah. The walls have sprouted eyes. That's all. 






Time for dinner! Our last dinner in Barcelona. 




Tot Ziens! 




No comments: