Thursday, September 24, 2020

The Trip that was: September 24, 2008/2014/2015/2016

 2008

Returning to Leiden, but this time it's Leiden Hortus Botanicus! This is the oldest botanical garden in the Netherlands, dating back to 1590.  The Hortus prides itself on maintaining exotic species, including the world's largest water lily, Victoria Amazonica.  I can only offer you photos from the outdoor gardens, not the greenhouses.  I have no excuse other than I got distracted. 






2014

One of my other goals while in London was to visit the Tate Britain and see the works by Pre-Raphaelites!   Whole galleries of Waterhouse, Millais, Rossetti...I was as glassy-eyed as the ladies in the paintings! Lost in the mythic beauty of it all. 





Doesn't the guy behind me look like a droid in Star Wars?? 

After leaving the Tate Britain, we walked back towards Parliment and Westminster Abbey.

Blue skies, Union Jack and Parliment. 





I believe this is known as the Elizabeth Tower, now.  The clock at the Palace of Westminster with it's bell, Big Ben.  Everyone calls it Big Ben. You know what I'm talking about.  I've shown you photos before, but it's so beautiful! And to be walking in London and here the bell chime the hour is magical. 



Most of Westminster Abbey was covered in scaffolding and netting while we were there. I do have this photo from around the back.  Disappointing. 


And a pass by the Tower of London, with it's poppies.  For the 100th Anniversary of WWI, the Tower of London was encircled with poppies.  It was an art installation called Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red.  Created by artist Paul Cummins and Tom Piper, 888,246 ceramic poppies spilled out of the Tower and filled the moat. Each poppy represented a fallen British soldier. It was incredibly moving and absolutely overwhelming. 



2015

The morning dawned in Prague and we were heading to Prague Castle. It's actually a lot of building on top of a very steep hill.  And the bus wasn't running that day.  So we were dropped off at the bottom and started the climb to the top.  


Did I mention it was STEEP!?!? 



Incredibly, SCARY STEEP!!?!?!? 


But the views from the top were pretty spectacular.  Can't imagine how beautiful it would have been on a clear day.  Which we didn't have while in Prague.  The weather was almost as gray as the communist buildings that I'm not showing you. 


This is my exhausted face. 


Angelic Dutchboy. *snorts*




This is the reason I walked the hill. St. Vitus Cathedral.  Just to see the stained glass windows, particularly those by Alphonse Mucha. 



It was worth every step. 




And the views on the way back down from the castle complex were equally nice!


We wandered around Prague for awhile, taking pictures, before deciding that we would do a river cruise on our farewell night. 




Sometimes Dutchboy wears me down.  I shouldn't make obscene gestures in photos, but honestly....







When we got off the boat, the light was so gorgeous! 

It was glowing, golden for our last evening in Prague. Best light of the trip. 


A very kind lady took our photo together! 

2016

Oh, what to say about this trip.  It was with three of my very favorite people on the entire planet. I adore them all. That's why I was willing to step out of my comfort zone and get on a bicycle for the first time since breaking my ankle at the age of 10.  It was a tandem bike and Dutchboy would be the pilot.  I just had to stay upright and wreck us.  And to get to ride said tandem bike, I had to get on a ferry and go to the island of Texel.  Texel is beautiful and I had been there before-- you'll see my previous visit in another post-- but there was a traumatic experience with slufter.  Still, I was willing to go! And I'm glad I did.  Because now I know, I don't want to ride a tandem bike with a broken seat for 30 miles around an island with Dutchboy piloting the bike, screaming at me not to move, we'll turn over if I do!!

Off we go, figuring out the route. 


Pedal faster! 



We finally made it to the restaurant.  I could relax, have a drink and take it easy, watching the sun sink into the sea. 


This face?? It's love.  And  RELIEF. 


Except dinner ends. And the inform me we have to hurry or we might miss the last ferry.  I pedaled that bike like my life depended on it.  Because it did.  I didn't want to murder anyone and I'm too pretty for prison.








No comments: