Monday, November 2, 2020

The Trip that was: Keukenhof, April 2019


I'm jumping out of daily sequence for a moment, because I have nothing share for November 2nd.  I couldn't let the "Trip that was series" end, without including a trip to The Keukenhof!  The Keukenhof is known as "flower garden of Europe", and is in the town of Lisse, not too far from Amsterdam.  79 acres of exquisitely designed gardens, surrounded by fields of tulips, daffodils,  hyacinths and crocuses, Keukenhof  plants over 7 million bulbs annually.  The gardens are only open for eight weeks a year, from late March to mid-May, and the explosions of color during this time are legendary.  The gardens are sprawling cultivated lawns and beds of hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, crocuses and other bulbs, garden installations based on a theme (for us it was the 1970''s) , and flower themed green houses that showcase orchids, amaryllis, all the tulips varieties and colors you could ever imagine, and other flowers that I can't even remember.  When I first visited the Netherlands, I asked Dutchboy about Keukenhof, the tulips fields, and the flower auctions.  I was told that, "there is nothing to see at Keukenhof or the tulips fields, no Dutch person ever visits, it's touristy and expensive, and it's really a waste of time".  In typical Dutchboy fashion, he was WRONG about all those things.  See for yourself. 





Dutchboy and his sister are famous for "jumping photos".

I am famous for not-jumping photos.







This bridge is beautiful, but a big nope for me!








Inside one of the flower houses. 





Dutchboy lives in a yellow submarine.



Inside the Orchid House.






Cherry blossom petals scatter everywhere.

On to the tulips houses that seem to stretch for miles.



Tulip: New Design

Tulip: White Valley

Tulip: Rasta Parrot (This is my VERY favorite!!!)





Tulip: Giant Orange Sunrise (foreground)

Tulip: Salmon Van Eijk (Also one of my very very favorites!)


Tulip: Lilac Wonder



John Lennon and Yoko Ono Bed-In Installation!

Dutchboy took this. Caption: The Keukenhof. I don't see what the hype is about. 

Here's a video I took as we drove past some of the fields of flowers surrounding Lisse.  Proof that Dutchboy was wrong and the trip was totally worth it, and there is so much enjoy! 


 

No comments: