Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leiden.

Somber greetings from Leiden. We heard Tuesday morning that one of Dutch's friends passed away on Monday. Remember the old friends we spend Sunday with? It was a brother and sister that Dutch met long ago when he worked at IBM. Well, the sister died Monday morning of a stroke. She was fine when we were with her on Sunday, so this was a huge surprise. Yesterday we went to Weesp to spend some time with him before journeying on to Leiden to spend a few days here with Dutch's sister. Tomorrow, we'll go back to Weesp for the funeral. Very sad news. Dutch is quite shaken. Today, we're going to the Hague and I will finally, hopefully, get to see Vermeer's Girl with the Pearl Earring.

But some of the shine is gone. It's scary when things like this happen. It's hard not to internalize such a shock.

3 comments:

laura said...

Nicole, I'm so sorry. Please give my sympathies to your husband. It's awful to lose friends; it is specially awful when you are young. I'm very glad you were able to spend time with her before this happened.

Anonymous said...

**HUG** I'm sorry that this has happened, but I'm glad you were able to spend time with her. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!
Love ya

MistyB said...

Love to you and Ton both. Hold each other close and take care of Dutch. And ENJOY VERMEER! Miss you something fierce!